A man has died while lodging with his Internet lover in a motel.

Fifty-five-year-old Abdulwaheed Lamidi and a 32-year-old woman were lodged at City International Motel, Council Bus-Stop, Ikotun, Lagos, when he died.

Sources say Lamidi and the woman met online and after a series of conversations, began a romantic relationship. When the relationship blossomed, the lovers decided to meet in person.

So, on Saturday the woman travelled from her base in different state to meet with Lamidi at the Lagos motel, where the lovebirds were said to have spent the entire night together in one room.

On Sunday morning, however, the woman suddenly ran out from the room, screaming and calling for help.

When the motel workers rushed to the room, they found Lamidi lying on the ground – cold, motionless.

A source at the motel said: “The girl said the man wanted to enter the toilet but slumped and fell on the ground. A doctor that works in a hospital close to the motel was called and when the doctor got to the room, he certified the man dead.

“The girl said she came to Lagos to meet the man as he promised to marry her. She came with some property and had the intention of moving into his house to be his live-in lover. Instead of going to the man’s house, they went to the hotel and they were in the room when the girl ran out to call for help because the man slumped.

“So, when people rushed into the room, they found him lying unconscious on the ground. The incident happened around 8.40 a.m. on Sunday but the girl arrived from another state on Saturday. The girl said she met the man online and that they had been chatting.”

Lcmidi’s corpse was deposited at the mortuary while the police took the woman into custody for interrogation.

Spokesperson for Lagos police, Benjamin Hundeyin, confirmed the incident, saying the suspect declined to involve her parents in the investigation.

“We have contacted the deceased’s family and they have shown up,” he said. “They are applying to just get their corpse. They said they were not interested in any criminal investigation but the command is still considering their application through its legal department.”

He added: “A decision is yet to be taken, but the corpse has been deposited in a mortuary. The lady is still in our custody and has declined to give us the contact details of her family because she doesn’t want them to know what happened.”


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here